This is how it works: we deliver the pigs to the butcher, they call you and take down your butchering instructions. When your meat is ready, they will call you again for pick up. Fresh meat is available about a week after the butchering, and smoked or cured items like ham and bacon are available about two weeks after butchering.
You pay Blue Heron Farm a flat rate of $275 for your half hog. When you pick up your meat, you will pay the butcher for butchering, which is based on weight and also on some of your cutting instructions (e.g. organic spices are more expensive, but we like them!). We usually pay about $65-$70 per half hog; if you end up paying more than that, it just means you got more meat! So your total comes out to about $350 for a half hog. You can expect about 80# of meat which will fit in one very large cooler.
Butcher Address & Phone Number:
We work with Homestyle Butchering in Middlebury. Their address is 59989 E County Line Rd Middlebury, IN 46540, 574.825.4602.
Standard Cuts for Half Hog
If you don’t know what to order, please ask the butcher to walk you through your options. Below is fairly standard list of what can come out of a half hog, but you can make adjustments to fit your needs:
- 1 Shoulder Roast (3# give or take, if you don’t eat roasts, it can be ground for sausage)
- 5 Pork Steaks (not quite as nice as chops, good for chili or can be ground for sausage)
- 20 Pork Chops
- 1 Loin Roast
- 1 Rack of Spare Ribs
- 7# Smoked Bacon OR 7# Fresh Side (Fresh Side is like bacon but not smoked or can be ordered unsliced and unsmoked to make your own bacon)
- 1 Fresh or Smoked Ham (if you don’t eat roasts, it can be ground for sausage)
- 7# Sausage (can be cased or bulk, Salt & Pepper or Italian)
- 2 Hocks
- Few Neckbones
- Any organs that you want (liver, tongue, heart, etc.)
Please consider these estimates or guidelines.
Diagram Borrowed from Sugar Mountain Farm in Vermont
If you’re a visual person, this handy chart may help you picture what comes from where – click for the full-size version.