This is how it works: we deliver the pigs to the butcher, they call you and take down your butchering instructions and you pick up your meat after about a week. You will pay us $277.50 for the half hog and the butcher about $75 for processing. (Whole hogs are $515 plus about $150 for processing). Fresh meat is available about a week after the butchering, and smoked or cured items like ham and bacon are available about two weeks after butchering.
You can expect about 80# of meat which will fit in one very large cooler.
DC MEATS is at 1711 Lincolnway West, Osceola, IN 46561
Standard Cuts for Half Hog
Here are the standard cuts for a half hog (double for whole):
- 1 Shoulder Roast (3# give or take, if you don’t eat roasts, it can be ground for sausage)
- 5 Pork Steaks (not quite as nice as chops, good for chili or can be ground for sausage)
- 20 Pork Chops
- 1 Loin Roast
- 1 Rack of Spare Ribs
- 7# Smoked Bacon OR 7# Fresh Side (Fresh Side is like bacon but not smoked or can be ordered unsliced and unsmoked to make your own bacon)
- 1 Fresh or Smoked Ham (if you don’t eat roasts, it can be ground for sausage)
- 7# Sausage (can be cased or bulk, Salt & Pepper or Italian)
- 2 Hocks
- Few Neckbones
- Any organs that you want (liver, tongue, heart, etc.)
Please consider these estimates or guidelines.
Diagram Borrowed from Sugar Mountain Farm in Vermont
If you’re a visual person, this handy chart may help you picture what comes from where – click for the full-size version.